The M240 is a highly reliable, belt-fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, 7.62mm machine gun, selected to replace the aging M60. It has an effective range of 1.1 miles, and fires 650 – 950 rounds per minute, controlled by three different settings. It is versatile weapon that can be mounted on the M122A1 tripod, a bipod, on vehicles, or on aircraft. The M240G has an “infantry modification kit” for ground use, which consists of a flash suppressor, front sight, carrying handle for the barrel, buttstock, infantry-length pistol grip, bipod and rear-sight assembly. Although it is about six lbs heavier, the M240 series is superior to the M60 in reliability and maintainability.
- Weight: 27.6 lbs
- Length: 49 in.
- Barrel Length: 24.68 in.
- Cartridge: 7.62 x 51mm NATO
- Action: Gas-operated, open bolt
- Rate of Fire: 650–950 rounds/min.
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,970 ft/sec.
- Effective Range: 1,970 yd.
- Maximum Range: 4,073 yd.
- Feed System: 100-or 200-round disintegrating belt